[HPGMG Forum] [EXTERNAL] Re: Acceptable rounding errors

Brian Van Straalen bvstraalen at lbl.gov
Fri Jul 31 23:18:48 UTC 2015

I would think that we could probably implement a reproducible dot product in the krylov code since it only happens on the coarse grid which should be small enough.

HPGMG uses max norms, so we should be ok for that part.

Brian

> On Jul 31, 2015, at 3:27 PM, Hoemmen, Mark <mhoemme at sandia.gov> wrote:
>

> On 7/31/15, 3:45 PM, "Jed Brown" <jed at jedbrown.org <mailto:jed at jedbrown.org>> wrote:
>
>> Brian Van Straalen <bvstraalen at lbl.gov <mailto:bvstraalen at lbl.gov>> writes:
>>> The concern is not trivial.  I¹ve spent some time re-reading
>>> Precimonious paper (eecs.berkeley.edu/~rubio/includes/sc13.pdf
>>> <http://eecs.berkeley.edu/~rubio/includes/sc13.pdf>) and I realize
>>> that it would not be hard to make a faster version of FMG using mixed
>>> precision.
>>
>> Just a quick comment now.  I think there's not as much fat to trim as
>> you think.  In general, the precision needs to be as accurate as the
>> discretization.  Most flops occur on fine grids where the discretization
>> is more accurate than single precision.  I challenge you to speed up
>> HPGMG by more than, say, 15%, while maintaining order of accuracy on
>> fine grids.
>>
>>> There have been papers over the last few years using 4-byte AMG as a
>>> preconditioner
>>
>> So much fat already.  Then you have a Krylov method and full-accuracy
>> residuals, but HPGMG solves in the cost of a few residual evaluations.
>> Also, these low-accuracy preconditioners are usually used for problems
>> that are only modestly ill-conditioned.  Try it with an operator with
>> condition number 10^{12} like you see in solid mechanics or geodynamics
>> and it doesn't look so hot any more.
>
> It could be fun to use such a tool to find out the best places to put
> 128-bit floating-point arithmetic.  That could help with some really hard
> problems, or at least avoid some reproducibility issues.
>
> mfh

Brian Van Straalen         Lawrence Berkeley Lab
BVStraalen at lbl.gov         Computational Research
(510) 486-4976             Division (crd.lbl.gov)