[HPGMG Forum] [EXTERNAL] Re: Acceptable rounding errors

Sam Williams swwilliams at lbl.gov
Mon Aug 3 16:58:05 UTC 2015

I think scalable implementations *should* reduce the bottom problem size to a single process.  Nevertheless, I don't think we specify that the bottom solve *must* be run on a single process.  I think we only specify the restrictions on the dimensions of the bottom solve.  This flexibility could be beneficial for odd problem sizes like (11*2^k)^3 whose bottom solve may be 11^3.  Even if running on a single process, there can still be multiple threads, cores, or processors (e.g. single process spans a multisocket node) performing the bottom solve.  How one chooses to thread such an operations is an implementation choice.

For the FV method, you are also required to sum the flux surfaces for each cell.  Obviously this is 6 terms that must be summed and not 1000, but I don't think we should mandate the order of that summation.  There is a deeper question as to whether adjacent cells must calculate common flux surfaces with the same order of operations.

At this point, I'm not inclined to mandate reproducibility, but am curious to see quantitative/numerical data where it made a difference in HPGMG-FV.