[HPGMG Forum] Performance Versatility slides from Monday

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Sun Nov 30 18:12:14 UTC 2014

On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 12:27 AM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:

> Brian Van Straalen <bvstraalen at lbl.gov> writes:
>
> > I don’t think it is this groups charter

Yikes, we don't have a charter do we :)

No really, our charter should be something like: 1) make a good top500
ranking metric, which means distinguish networks to start, and 2)
collect/display data that we collect while we have control of the machine
(our metric takes a few seconds and the community seems to want a metric
that runs for a few hours).  (1) is obviously the priority and (2) is
currently done to some degree.  Presenting data that can dovetail into a
centers analysis, where costs come in, is a useful service and we should
take care to collect and package the data well (eg, Jed's ideas below).

to weigh a machine against