[HPGMG Forum] Performance Versatility slides from Monday

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Sun Nov 30 05:27:21 UTC 2014

Brian Van Straalen <bvstraalen at lbl.gov> writes:

> I don’t think it is this groups charter to weigh a machine against
> it’s budget.  A benchmark is meant to highlight an objective
> measurement.

I agree that cost or power efficiency should not be in the metric.  But
I don't think anyone in this thread was proposing that.  Rather, we're
talking about how to normalize scaling plots and it turns out there is
no normalization that people are happy with.  That's why I like
circumventing the arbitrary choices by instead plotting performance
versus time-to-solution.  Not quite the same information, but the
important trade-offs are easy to see and there are no hidden choices.