[HPGMG Forum] Performance Versatility slides from Monday

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Thu Nov 27 17:49:10 UTC 2014

"Bauer, Gregory H" <gbauer at illinois.edu> writes:

> Jed,
>
> Thanks for the references and the conversation at the Joint Lab meeting.
>
> Would you have the data for the HPGMG performance on different systems
> plotted with respect to socket or node count rather than NUMA node count?
> Or, is the intention to show the impact of NUMA itself along with the
> network?

This is Sam's plot and he could easily generate that plot variant.  NUMA
nodes are equivalent to sockets on most of these architectures.  I don't
like normalizing by either because sockets also have huge variability in
cost and power requirement.  I would rather normalize by dollars or
Watts, but that is also controversial and it's hard to get that data.

Real costs are rarely passed directly to the users (or even to centers,
in some cases), different centers subsidize costs differently, and there
are many external factors, so it's entirely logical that a given user
might choose an architecture that is not the most cost-effective (in
acquisition cost, TCO, or Watts) for their application requirements.