[HPGMG Forum] Kiviat diagrams

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 27 13:15:15 UTC 2014

Mark Adams <mfadams at lbl.gov> writes:
>> "challenging" parts of the hardware architecture.  Having the most
>> efficient DOF/s for this particular solver is orthogonal.  You want to
>> focus on mathematical rigor (in the same way that Linpack has a
>> mathematically rigorous definition) and exercising the hardware aspects
>> equally.
>>

> One of my narratives (see my slides) is that we are staying faithful to the
> HPL model by: 1) solving a hard problem (fully connected global problem
> with known mathematical complexity), 2) using the best method to solve it,
> 3) using the best computer science to implement it.

I just want to note that once we define the FOM, the code (and
configuration) will be optimized for the FOM.  Kiviat diagrams for
code/configuration that does not maximize the FOM only describe the path
you might see from algorithms doing something similar in a less
optimized way.  (This might look familiar because production apps
typically have less focused optimization effort than benchmarks.)