[HPGMG Forum] HPGMG 1.0: A Benchmark for Ranking High Performance Computing Systems

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Thu Jun 12 15:38:37 UTC 2014

Hi Benson,  [cc'ing the forum]

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 10:28 AM, Benson Muite <benson.muite at ut.ee> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Would you consider variations on linear elliptic equation solver?

Yes, but the top500 is a big business with lots of users of wildly
different backgrounds, etc.  Maintaining the top500 is a lot of work and
not a lot of resources and so we are trying to keep the maintenance costs
way down.

We have discussed ways to get more coverage out of HPGMG but have a long
way to go before we take any extensions seriously.  More interesting
equations is one dimension that we have considered but I see our biggest
weakness currently as particle codes (MC, etc.); this might be the first
extension.

Mark