[HPGMG Forum] HPGMG release v0.1

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Mon Jun 9 06:46:42 UTC 2014

Brian Van Straalen <bvstraalen at lbl.gov> writes:
> I know that my own host site NERSC uses hours*nodes*cores/node which
> would seem to indicate people are core-counting, but perhaps Edison is
> the last of the truly Fat core platforms we will see and we will go
> back to allocation awards being in units of nodes.

NERSC has a different charge factor for Edison versus Hopper (and
different factors for different queues).  The x axis is arbitrary,
serving only to quantify run size in units that can be interpreted
separately for each machine.  Slope and maximum value are the quantities
that are meaningful to compare.

Sam, I think that counting NUMA nodes, while principled and relevant to
the implementation, is ultimately confusing and prone to
misinterpretation.  Would you mind regenerating this figure with x axis
representing compute nodes (the unit in which users of the machine
count)?