[HPGMG Forum] HPGMG release v0.1

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 22:31:25 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>    The use of multicore processor == sockets as the independent variable in the plot of aggregate performance seems arbitrary. Though people should not use this kind of plot to compare machines they will. Now just change sockets to nodes and boom suddenly the machines compare very differently (since some systems have two sockets per node and some one). Should cores be used instead? Or hardware threads? Or cores scaled by their clock speed? Or hardware floating point units (scaled by clock speed?) ? Or number of instruction decorders? Power usage? Cost? etc etc. Maybe have a dynamic plot where one can switch the independent variable by selecting from a menu or moving the mouse over choices ….?

The last suggestion is obviously the best one since it is the most
general, but I think power is the best choice of independent variable.
Most of the other hardware features are bad choices because it is very
hard to determine some of these.  What is the clock speed of an Intel
socket that does dynamic frequency scaling?  How do you count cores on
a GPU?  NVIDIA's core-counting methodology is complete nonsense...

Best,

Jeff