[HPGMG Forum] HPGMG release v0.1

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Jun 7 22:26:15 UTC 2014

   The use of multicore processor == sockets as the independent variable in the plot of aggregate performance seems arbitrary. Though people should not use this kind of plot to compare machines they will. Now just change sockets to nodes and boom suddenly the machines compare very differently (since some systems have two sockets per node and some one). Should cores be used instead? Or hardware threads? Or cores scaled by their clock speed? Or hardware floating point units (scaled by clock speed?) ? Or number of instruction decorders? Power usage? Cost? etc etc. Maybe have a dynamic plot where one can switch the independent variable by selecting from a menu or moving the mouse over choices ….?

   Barry