[HPGMG Forum] Execution heterogeneity

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Apr 30 18:39:34 UTC 2014

Brian Van Straalen <bvstraalen at lbl.gov> writes:

> That is a whole other growing issue, algorithm heterogeneity.  I’m thinking architecture.
>
> Latency cores vs throughput cores, partitioned local memory, co-processing.

I'm not entirely sure how to cleanly support this.  Coarse levels should
use latency-optimized cores while the finest levels can use
throughput-optimized cores.  A common address space would simplify this.
I'm not too concerned about MIC in offload mode; I think it's enough to
focus on native.  We definitely need CUDA in the short-to-medium-term,
though programming model aside, I have doubts about the attainable HPGMG
performance on that hardware.