[HPGMG Forum] Execution heterogeneity

Brian Van Straalen bvstraalen at lbl.gov
Wed Apr 30 18:24:56 UTC 2014

That is a whole other growing issue, algorithm heterogeneity.  I’m thinking architecture.

Latency cores vs throughput cores, partitioned local memory, co-processing.

On Apr 30, 2014, at 12:52 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:

> Brian Van Straalen <bvstraalen at lbl.gov> writes:
>
>> I’m wondering where users can insert heterogeneity in the
>> execution…which seems a big coming issue.
>
> You mean unavoidable/unpredictable divergence between vector lanes (such
> as appears with iterative solves in Riemann solvers, material models,
> etc)?  I wrote my thoughts on that here:
>
>  https://hpgmg.org/fe/#linear-or-nonlinear
>
> I'd love to hear ideas about how to incorporate this into a benchmark.

Brian Van Straalen         Lawrence Berkeley Lab
BVStraalen at lbl.gov         Computational Research
(510) 486-4976             Division (crd.lbl.gov)