[HPGMG Forum] Do we want the benchmark to go into intrinsics?

John Shalf jshalf at lbl.gov
Wed Apr 30 05:38:54 UTC 2014

How about having a “no-opt” compile option (or you could call it “compiler shaming mode”) that disables the architecture specific directives.  That way you can always go back to the reference implementation and properly shame bad compilers.

However, I agree with Jed’s motivation to have the optimized versions all in one code base as much as possible so that you have performant code out-of-the-box for all architectures as much as possible.  (don’t want to have one optimized version per architecture… would be revision control nightmare, and average bencharker would likely fail to choose the correct optimized version).

-john