[HPGMG Forum] Do we want the benchmark to go into intrinsics?

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Tue Apr 29 17:06:28 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 12:53 PM, Sam Williams <swwilliams at lbl.gov> wrote:

> Were any of the codes Bert/Ian analyzed manually simdized for QPX ?
>
> I want to keep reference separate from optimized.

What do you mean by optimized?

Are you saying that you want the reference implementations to be straight
C/OpenMP/MPI/CUDA?

That is a defensible position.  I am just asking.

> I didn't want to manually simdize anything until the community accepted
> HPGMG as a useful benchmark and agreed on the definition.  I also plan on
> keeping any of my optimizations private until published.

Can you explain your reasons for this?  Do you think the community would be
less likely to accept HPGMG if they saw a lot of optimized code in the repo?

Do you agree with my statement in my last email that the reference
implementation should be pretty good for a least one platform?  I thought
we were on the same page on this but if not we should do that now.